Catherine E. Miller- Attorney At Law

Family Matters The Most

Helping People Through Tough Family Law Issues

What do you do if your ex-spouse refuses to pay child support? 

After child support is established by either a judge or New York’s Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE), the noncustodial parent absolutely must obey the order, but this doesn’t always happen the way that it should. If your ex-spouse refuses to pay their child support, you have a couple of options. Your first option would be to turn to the DCSE, and your other option is to turn to a child support attorney in Hauppauge who can bring your case in front of a judge.

Should you turn to the DCSE or a child support lawyer? 

While it’s true that you can get help with child support enforcement by turning to the DCSE, they won’t provide you with an attorney, nor will they bring an action in court. The DCSE provides location services in order to help you find the noncustodial parent if they are missing, and they may be able to help you collect child support by garnishing the noncustodial parent’s bank account or wages. The major advantage of hiring a child support attorney is that they will be able to enforce the action through the court. A judge may be able to punish the noncustodial parent for not paying or enforce the child support in many ways that the DCSE cannot.

Now that you know about the steps you should take to enforce child support, it is time to learn about what can happen to a parent who fails or refuses to pay their child support. Stay tuned for our next blog to learn more.

We are aware that any family law dispute, whether divorce or separation, conflict related to custody, child support, domestic violence or neglect, can cause stress and anxiety.

As an attorney with more than 20 years experience, Catherine has represented clients in reaching divorce, custody and child support agreements.

Your divorce will probably be one of the most difficult experiences you will ever experience. Our job is help bring you through the process...

Practice Areas

Divorce, Separation, Mediation, Custody, Orders of Protection, Child Support, Neglect

CALL TODAY: 631-873-4328