Have you had a chance to read our family law attorney’s latest blog? If you have, then you already know what steps you should take if your ex refuses to pay their child support. We also talked about how turning to the DCSE can help you enforce child support, but there are many advantages to bringing your action to court. A judge will be able to offer different punishments or enforcements than the DCSE can, but what kind of consequences might the noncustodial parent face if they refuse to pay their child support?

What are the consequences of refusing to pay child support? 

In New York, if a parent refuses to pay the child support they owe, they may have to face one or more of the following consequences:

  • They may have their income or wages garnished.
  • They may have their personal property seized, which can include their home or car.
  • A lien may be put on their home or business.
  • They could lose their passport or their driver’s license.
  • They may lose their professional or occupational license.
  • They may receive a negative credit report.
  • They may have their tax refund intercepted.
  • They may receive an order to pay the custodial parent’s attorney’s fee.

In addition to all of the above consequences, the judge may hold the noncustodial parent in contempt, which is essentially a declaration that they have disobeyed an order from the court. In these circumstances, the delinquent parent must pay all of the child support they owe, plus they could be subject to fines and possibly even jail time.